How do I connect to Oracle 10g from a remote client?
Using standard Delphi dbexpress dbexpora.dll + oci.dll (10g) (oracle instantclient instance installed).
When directly in the Oracle database field we can run dbexpress applications are just fine. The local alias dbxconnections.ini used in this case simply specifies our Oracle ORCL service name as a database parameter.
We are trying to connect to this same database from client machines and getting a series of errors.
Naturally, we are trying to use all the strings in the database parameter. Using a string like MOHAWK2: 1521: ORCL we're at a point where we can at least get a listener error:
Failed to connect: ORA-12514 TNS: The listener is currently missing to know the service requested in the connection descriptor description.
I assume there are some tools to check the availability of names ...
Use TNSPING on the server to see how it resolves the service name. Various configuration options and files can map a simple designation to a complete server / port / service.
C:> TNSPING ORCL
Used by TNSNAMES adapter to resolve alias Attempt to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST = 127.0.0.1) (PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = XE))) OK (0 ms)
Extract the server / port / service and build the connection string in whatever format your component or connection method uses.
a source to share
Is setting up and running a listener on an oracle server? Is it accepting a connection for the instance / service of the database you are connecting to? Have you checked the lsnrctl status? Are you trying to enable sqlnet logging and listener logging to see if even you are connecting to the database from a remote site and what error is being logged in the list log, why is it denying service? Is the receiver accepting a tcp connection or is the receiver accepting only an IPC connection? without listening on tcp connection, it will not accept remote connections.
a source to share
Test your connection first using tnsping. If everything is ok, try connecting to sqlplus. If tnsping fails, you are using the wrong service name, or you have not configured your client properly. If you are relying on local configurations, the file to edit is tnsnames.ora at ORAHOME \ NETWORK \ ADMIN, which will need configuration parameters to find the server and this includes the hostname, port and service name.
a source to share
Sorry about CAPS, this is all new to me. I have no reputation, what I had has now been reduced to keep this question in the header. I do not know how to comment to all of you who answered ........ casue, this will not let me ..... I do not have enough reputation. I think I need to go to another forum ....
anyway,
Resolved!
I installed a new vmware clone - installed the oracle client and our dll and exes pairs in the directory and it worked.
So, I removed all extraneous stuff on the box I worked and bingo.
I think it was an interference from delphi 2007, was already on this machine ... despite trying to Path all around.
a source to share