Is the VS 2008 standard worth it?
Now my dev environment consists of:
- v # express / v web dev express
- NUnit
- Turtle for Subversion
- SqlYog for MySql
- Custom auto deploy copy / paste
I would like to use:
- TestDriven.NET (looked at pex too and seems interesting)
- VisualSVN or AnkhSVN
- Not sure if VS will have integrated mysql management.
- Deployment projects
Just to make things faster and easier on yourself ... but is it worth paying $ 250 for a VS license (note: my employer supports the bill, but try not to let this change too much).
a source to share
Visual Studio 2008 Standard has everything that traditional developers need.
I use Professional at work and Standard at home (which I bought in the Expression Studio package - damn it). If you don't want multiprocessing stuff, Std is perfectly adequate. I have my Silverlight tools and it "talks great with Blend and VisualSVN (MUCH is better than AnkhSVN). It works with database servers (but doesn't debug MS-SQL), I suppose you will need to get the MySQL provider to work of this element to work, which I think you still need if you are working in MySQL .NET.
a source to share
Since your employer pays for this, I assume it is for business purposes. So the question is, how much more valuable are you to it in the VS 2008 standard or $ 250?
Assuming you are spending a lot of development time, the answer is almost certainly yes. If you make $ 50,000 a year, spend half your development time, and the standard version will improve your efficiency by 1%, which is one year break even. (It's actually better if you make $ 50K a year, you cost your employer more than $ 70K- $ 100K, depending on the circumstances and accounting.)
It's almost always worth buying good tools for your workers, and software development tools are usually very inexpensive compared to software tools for other professions.
If you were growing at home this would be a more difficult and subjective question, but since you are programming to generate income for someone, it is a question of dollars, and dollars are overwhelmingly in favor of spending money.
a source to share
Remember, you can buy "upgrades" for VS versions and upgrades from Express (or even Eclipse) versions. So the listing price you are looking at is $ 1,199 and the real price is more than USD160.
Given that this is value for money, this might be useful.
My personal advice is not to get confused by toy news if you're trying to make money for yourself or anyone else.
a source to share
It depends on the application you create. Express version will not allow you to combine different projects of different types in one solution. With Visual Studio Professional, you will be able to debug an assembly from a C # class with another project in your web application.
If your project only needs to be in one type of language than an expression, that's fine.
But I agree that if you make money, a license is the way to go.
a source to share
I would suggest going the route of buying a VS license and then going out and getting reshaper from jetbrains.com
Reshaper built in unit test, refactoring, code completion, templates, ...
while you can use AnkhSVN since it's free, I personally haven't found Visual SVN worth even $ 50.
a source to share