Using WCF Authentication Service for a Web Application
I am using WCF Authentication Service configured with a web application. I have successfully configured and tested AuthenticationService and RolesService. A web application can successfully call methods such as ValidateUser and GetRolesForCurrentUser through WCF services.
I want to integrate WCF Authentication Service with my web.config and site.map. Do I need to write a custom provider or is there some way I can modify the web.config of the web application to use the WCF Authentication Service as the membership provider?
This way I can establish which roles have access to which directories are based on the WCF Authentication Service.
a source to share
App Services is not intended to replace the provider stack.
They are designed to extend and enable use from a context other than .aspx.
In most cases, you can just use the default vendor stack (Membership / Roles / Profiles).
You just need to pass the cookies you receive when you call Login through App Services in the context of the service call.
See here for more information on adding cookies to a WCF call.
If you are using AJAX to call services, you don't need to do anything, just authenticate via ajax and then call via ajax.
a source to share
Skys answer doesn't seem to answer the question?
It seems to me that there is an urgent need to call the WCF Authentication Service from within an ASP.NET application?
Consider a three-tier application that requires the application tier to access the database. There is a single database (data layer) containing business data as well as membership data.
I wrote a 3-tier implementation in which a custom member package at the presentation layer calls the application-level authentication service, which in turn starts my normal authentication routine. I could easily create a custom WCF service (not AutheticationService for example) that does this authentication, but I try to use .NET objects whenever possible. it would be nice if I could tell ASP.NET uses the AuteticationService without having to use a custom membership provider, but I don't think this is possible?
a source to share