How to properly install MinGW on Windows
I recently started learning C ++, but I need a compiler. I tried one package with Code :: Blocks but was told it was outdated.
I've tried reading the instructions on the website, but I just don't know which files to download and unlock. Is there a list of files to download? (latest version) and the folder structure I need?
a source to share
I was the one to point out the more modern version in Twilight Dragon. The file you want to find is http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/TDM-MinGW%20Installer/1.908.0/tdm-mingw-1.908.0-4.4.1-2.exe/download which is a Windows binary installer - you just run it. Note that you don't really need to do this - the version that ships with Code :: Blocks will work just fine if someone starts learning C ++.
I recommend using the pre-packaged MinGW which includes some common APIs like Boost, SDL, etc .: http://nuwen.net/mingw.html
If I remember correctly, the only thing you have to do to get it working is to change the Windows PATH environment variable.
edit: OpenAL is not included in this package.
a source to share
Here are some instructions to have the MinGW installation I used to build Octave .
I switched to using the build environment for msysgit. Just download the netinstall file and it will configure GCC, Make , etc. along with Git .
a source to share