SQL2008 login failed
I recently installed SQL2008 and am having trouble logging in from another application. I have set up security for general authentication and provided a password for the SA login. I can log in with SA and password from management studio and also from the command line using osql command, but when I try to login from third party software (specifically WhereNet VSS) I get a popup saying SQL Instance Name or incorrect login information. Please try again. "
Any suggestions? Unfortunately, I cannot install the software until I can successfully log into the SQL server, so it is very important that I go through ASAP.
Thanks,
Joseph
Besides allowing remote connections from SQL Server instance properties -> connections - have you configured remote connections from the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration toolbox ? If not, you can play with these options to enable remote connections over TCP / IP and / or named pipes.
Also - you checked from the Configuration Manager Tool if the TCP / IP properties are configured correctly (TCP port is correct, etc.).
Have you tried doing the same on a different computer and see if it works with the same settings?
a source to share