Which is faster for getting Mails in Rails: Pop3 / Imap or MySQL Direct Query?

I am rewriting another question because the problem has changed somewhat:

If I want to receive mail from my mail server (another machine) into my Rails application to process it there, which is faster:

  • Connect via network / Pop or net / imap to download emails
  • Save emails on Mailserver to MySQL database (using something like DBMail) and then connect directly to MySQL database
  • Or is there a third option that I don't see yet? Can I let the mail server send Mail in Rails?

Thank you for your advice!

0


a source to share


1 answer


There is not only a third option, but many: you can, for example, connect a mailserver mailbox to your Rails app server. It will then act as a local folder and you can work with your mailboxes directly, which is probably the fastest solution since no IMAP / POP server software will be involved.



And if you're not obsessed with ActiveRecord, you can also use the DataMapper IMAP adapter . But I have no experience with this and don't know if it even works.

+1


a source







All Articles