Need to go back to previous web design

I am creating a website for a client where he wants a link that people can click to go back to a previous website design and navigate to that design every time they return to that site.

How can I do it?

I need to create a cookie, and if I do, how do I do it?

Thanks for your help, I'll come back to this question when I receive this part!

+2


a source to share


3 answers


How different is the new design? Is it just the look or are there significant differences in the flow and features of the new design? Are they using the same database setup, or did something change between the old and new versions? Should they use any site to do the same? For example, if they create a post on the new site, should it appear on the old site?

If there is minimal change, the easiest thing to do is just hold and run the old site as your own site. Place a large link to the new site that says, "If you want to use the old site, visit oldsite.example.com." It's usually nice to see how you can socially design clients to want to use the new site, and also let them know that the old site will disappear at some point.



I would hate to infect a new system with hooks to support the old system you want to move away from.

+1


a source


You might want to host your old application in a subdomain like "old.mydomain.com" or something similar. This will allow you to maintain applications in separate folders (IIS?) And separate projects.

If you do not want to use a subdomain, you can use the rewrite mechanism to check the cookie settings, such as "UseOldSite = TRUE", and rewrite them into the old application if necessary.



Some of the problems you might run into with this approach would be using absolute URLs and paths in the application and sharing session data or cookie.

I noticed that GMail provides a "view in HTML" option that minimizes JavaScript usage. I am assuming this is for compatibility with older browsers with little or no JavaScript support, but this approach might be applicable to your situation.

+1


a source


A good option (in the absence of structural changes to the data) is to use alternate stylesheets.

This is a great post when switching between stylesheets .

Of course, in FF, you can navigate to: View> Page Style> Other Style Sheets.

0


a source







All Articles