Facebook Graph API and ActionScript

I am going to develop a set of Facebook apps / games that use some Facebook user information and store game information in a database backend, etc. in ActionScript 3.0.

  • How the new graphics API can be used

  • Should I use JavaScript or PHP as the "middle layer", or should I go with the ActionScript Client Library ?

  • Are there other libraries (related to Facebook / databases / multiplayer games) that could make developing these games on Facebook easier?

+2


a source to share


5 answers


Your question is rather vague, but the Graph API has very scattered documentation. Your best bet would be to ask the forums for help in using it.

The new Graph API (compared to Facebook Connect) will give you more information and (IMO) easier to use.



Javascript is almost essential, although customizing your code can actually be a pain. I prefer to handle multiple UI events (namely login / logout) with Javascript and then pass it back to the PHP class, which will handle any view changes or storage in the database.

Which one goes will depend a lot on what you are developing. If you're developing Flash games, you should probably just go with the ActionScript library. Otherwise, I would go with PHP.

0


a source


The Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK for Facebook Platform seems to have recently overhauled: http://code.google.com/p/facebook-actionscript-api/



+1


a source


I have developed many Facebook apps using adobe actionscript 3 SDK. The documentation is not great and is outdated.

I would be tempted to go for the PHP PHP SDK path. Cleanly make upgrading easier. Since I found that Facebook is forever changing things and breaking things, rather than fully documenting their api. So changing some PHP is faster, then recompiling swf and loading. http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/php/

Also the chart API is approved, but if you want to do more with Facebook take a look at FQL queries. It allows you to execute multiple queries in one with the returned single object. Be faster. Where as a graphical API you have to make separate requests.

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fql/

+1


a source


0


a source


The official library does seem to be outdated. http://code.google.com/p/fbas/ seems to be updated, but less official.

What we did in our facebook app just wrapped URLLoader requests around FB API calls, but we had issues with Internet Explorer 8.

0


a source







All Articles