Are there java based auto updaters other than WebStart & Eclipse P2?

I am working on a Java application and we are committed to making it easier to deploy updates. Until now, we have always just posted new install packages and added sysadmin to our client sites for updates that hurt a lot of users.

what I would like to do is something similar to java webstart (or eclipse p2) - when starting the application, it checks for updates at the specified location and then downloads the updates before starting.

But here's my problem - I want more control over what is done outside of the plugins and jar files. For instance:

  • I would like to be able to update my JVM (we ship a modified version with additional security features).
  • I need to install a DLL - maybe locally in jar files, sometimes in windows
  • Sometimes MSI is launched to install Windows components (such as printer drivers).
  • I need to modify config files and registry.

I've found several apps that support this (e.g. AppLifeUpdate at http://www.kineticjump.com/ ), but they tend to target .NET and it seems a little flawed to present .NET's dependency on a Java application;)

I know I could write my own here, but if there is already a third party library out there that supports this object it will make my life easier.

So, does anyone else have a similar problem and what products can I look at?

Thanks Brian.

+2


a source to share


1 answer


I've done similar things, but on Linux / Unix, so I can't suggest any specific Windows products. But I've always found it useful to either package everything in OS format, or distribute everything that way (rpms, debian pkg, Solaris pkg, ...) or deploy the platform via OS mechanisms and deploy the application via Java engine (web launch).

The reason is that sysadmins usually don't like things that magically update themselves if they don't know or can't follow standard practices. That is: you cannot count on making your life easier if you are not sure that you are not making your life difficult ...



Also: no matter what I do at the OS level, I do it with OS tools. If on Windows it means using .NET, I'd really consider using that ...

Hope this helps!

0


a source







All Articles