Contractor First Question: How Do I Handle Web Hosting?

I started doing a little freelance work on the internet and I need to create a website for a client. The client does not currently have a hosting service, so either I or they will have to set it up. Traditionally, how does it work? Should I set it up and then transfer ownership to them when I'm done? Can I leave them to them to customize it? If they pay for hosting directly, will it affect anything?

Basically, I'm completely new at all of this and any tips on hosting management would be greatly appreciated.

+2


a source to share


2 answers


If it's a small company, you can pretty much expect you to arrange it for them.



If you don't have a long-term relationship, make sure it gets direct ownership (organization as well as financial) from the beginning. Moving things over later can be tricky, can lead to confusion for your client, and can cost you money or at least time.

+2


a source


If you are going to pay for hosting, you need to make sure that you have billed your price or set up some kind of recurring billing service (even that might be as simple as PayPal or Amazon Payment Services).



The best thing, IMO, is to get it all fixed and put it all on them. Or use material that is free for small sites.

0


a source







All Articles