How can I check if IIS compression works with HTTPS / SSL?

I've set up a site for IIS compression, but it doesn't seem to work for HTTPS, just HTTP. Is there something that needs to be configured to work, or does this not work in IIS? What are the options?

UPDATE: According to this , the compression happens before encryption. If compression happens for SSL requests, where do I see it?

UPDATE2: I went back to the metase.xml file and found that the changes I made were gone. Here's what I had:

HcDynamicCompressionLevel="9"
    HcFileExtensions="htm
        html
        js
        css
        txt"
    HcOnDemandCompLevel="10"
    HcPriority="1"
    HcScriptFileExtensions="asp
        dll
        aspx
        exe"

      

I'm wondering if the in-memory metabase replaced the changes I made before I could start IISRESET / RESTART ??

Thanks!

Chris

+1


a source to share


2 answers


I'm not entirely sure how IIS works, but I believe the compression is applied at the end. If so, it will not work well with encrypted data that has random characteristics. However, it is still possible to compress your data manually in your application before transferring it to IIS.



0


a source


Compression should work fine with both regular and ssl traffic, configuring it in IIS can be a bit tricky, often not enough to just toggle the checkbox as it will only compress certain file types by default.

Compress IIS



Is your SSL site pointing to the same application in IIS? Are you using something like SSL hardware accelerator with your server?

First try the form on the right on the port80 site to see if IIS compresses: http://www.port80software.com/

0


a source







All Articles