How do I change the order of the toolbar buttons in Internet Explorer?

I know I can just write regkey in CommandBandLayout, but since I don't know what format I have doubts about if it is safe.

Also, this answer suggests a wrong solution: How to change the key value of the CommandBandLayout key

But how can I change the order a little? I wrote an Internet Explorer add-on and I registered it by putting it in HKCU, but it crashes off the screen by default so users can't find it. I would like to make the panel wider or move the button on the screen.

+2


a source to share


1 answer


You cannot reconfigure the IE toolbar layout. IE manages it and users can customize it with the built-in UI, but you can't. I'm sorry.

In fact you can, since you noticed that the layout is stored binary in the registry, but it involves a lot of reverse engineering of the binary data that may or may not be stored in the registry, and since this is an undocumented implementation, the IE team might (and actually) change how it works in every new version of IE. You will need to write the code three times: once for IE6, once for IE7, once for IE8. And again for IE9, when it ships out and not sure if it will still be the same. Each uses a different format and has different rules about when data is stored and how data is stored. And forget about upgrade scripts.



So tell anyone that you cannot do this.

Actually, don't come back. I was really on both sides of this equation; I was on the IE team and saw the disasters caused by these attempts when they tried to do it, and I was in companies that had the same requirements and I did reverse engineering and tried to keep it working. Trust me, you don't want to do this.

+1


a source







All Articles