Can a SharePoint list be exported to an Excel file split into separate sheets?

We have a SharePoint 2007 deployment that will have a substantially larger document library. A client of mine wants to export this library to an Excel spreadsheet, but specifically wants to split the spreadsheet into multiple worksheets based on a specific field. Can this be done in WSS 3.0 via the object model or otherwise?

There is a ready-made export to a spreadsheet, but it does not support automatic splitting of list items into separate worksheets. I don't know if the Excel services that come with MOSS are capable, but we don't have MOSS, so we can't consider it an option yet.

EDIT

It seems that by mentioning "out of the box" I mean that I would prefer something quick and simple. Let me dispel that. I am doing a lot of hard work in the object model. I only mentioned Export to Spreadsheet because this is the only method available that I know from hand to hand and its options are limited. Therefore, I am comfortable with all the levels of work that can be offered.

It should also be noted that saving a list associated with a spreadsheet is not desirable. We want to be able to download the spreadsheet as a link. Due to the number of people who will be working on the list, it would be an absolute chaos to try and sync all related files. My client agreed that it would be easier to handle legacy copies than trying to keep the system in sync.

The solution also needs to be deployed. So things that are not site-specific are the best.

+2


a source to share


3 answers


I posted this on SharePoint Overflow . One of the answers I received was very helpful regarding the Open XML SDK utility. Thanks to those who replied ... I looked over your suggestions. My client decided to go with this on an account that it does not require money to implement (like the Spreadsheet Gear plugin or the datapresentation plugin).



0


a source


You cannot do this OOTB. You will need to write code to iterate over the entries in the list with



Then you can create an Excel spreadsheet either with

  • Using the Excel Object Model (aka Automation) if this is a quick scrappy running from a workstation but excel wasn't meant to be used with a server without maintenance and / or high volume, so you might as well look

  • Third party component such as SpreadsheetGear for generating Excel spreadsheet files.

+3


a source


A good bet is to quickly create views for your items (using filters as you see fit) by mirroring the sheets you want, then export them to excel. These views are updated with the list and you can manually grab new versions later. Still manual but OOTB and no need to hack excel.

+3


a source







All Articles