JQuery Prototype Context, Alternatives
I have a problem as I conditionally include a Lightbox script for IE6 as it works better than the jQuery plugin.
Of course the two libraries are in conflict, but the official solution is not realistic for me, since I would have to replace tons of $ with alternative syntax without conflict.
Is there any other solution for me, bearing in mind that in my case it would be easier to prototype with jQuery than the other way around?
a source to share
No, if you need to use the Prototype code (your lightbox item) in the same window as the jQuery , the only option is the one that you do not want to use: jQuery.noConflict
.
If you can restrict the lightbox to work in the iframe, you can only load the Prototype in the iframe, not the main window. But my suspicion is that this would be overkill for what you are trying to do. :-)
The problem is that Prototype has no conflict-free option (and currently has no active plan to provide it), and it is not easily wrapped in a scoping function to contain symbols (since all you really care about are global symbols , not extension prototypes, which jQuery is fine with all). That said, if you took the prototype.js file and combined it with your lightbox include file, wrapped it all up in a browse function, and then went looking for global symbol leaks, you probably will. This would be a non-trivial exercise, especially if you are not familiar with Prototype. But if the iframe thing is overkill, it's probably nuking from orbit. :-)
a source to share
You can try what I am doing when I work on an application based on the Prototype library, but I need a jQuery function.
jQuery(document).ready(function($)
{
$("#BoxLabelRange").next('span').mouseenter(function()
{
$("#SearchInformation").slideDown();
})
})
See the parameter I added to document.ready, dollar sign? Within this function call, you can use the jQuery "$" alias without any problem. Works for me. Good luck!
a source to share
Have you considered looking at a jQuery plugin that you say doesn't work that well (I can find a couple, maybe this: http://leandrovieira.com/projects/jquery/lightbox/ ) and try to improve it in IE6? Check the IE6 specific fixes in the Prototype version if needed.
I would think this is a better option than trying to get Prototype and jQuery to play together.
a source to share