What is the best way to build an architecture architecture?
I have been responsible for architecture design on a number of projects. The main tools used for binding architecture are class diagram, package diagram, sequence diagram, deployment diagram. And in some cases, chat flow is also used to model important business processes.
At the moment I think everything is fine. But I'm wondering if there are alternatives for this purpose. I have tested 4 + 1 view method. This seems like a more holistic approach. I will try next time. So what are your favorite ways to communicate with architecture architecture?
a source to share
Talking to people. Tell them what you are trying to achieve: what non-functional requirements you are trying to meet (and which are less important); what are the main trade-offs; what basic principles and models are you using.
The diagrams are here to support your story, but they are not the story itself. I have never used exactly the same artifact list in two projects. I don't think because I'm fickle, but because each project has its own unique challenges (if not in technology, then in people or process).
Be prepared to use UML diagrams, ER diagrams, process models, mock-ups or dancing if needed. Complement what you are saying with images and texts (so you can attract more people over a longer period of time). But the core of what you should be doing as an architect is figuring out what's most important and communicating it to all stakeholders: your current developers, future maintainers, system operators, end users, business sponsors - at various levels of granularity. What you use must be tailored to your strengths and weaknesses . Alas, there is no format like the Optimal Architectural Documentation format.
a source to share
I tend to agree with the concept of a board and face to face to define requirements. Then use UML to standardize / formalize those ideas.
As I collaborate, I believe adhering to a strict standard is a distraction from your real goals. However, I took some PMPs (project management certifications) and they used large rolls of paper, a blue sticky head (I forgot what this stuff is called, did I?) And hints, and it's actually pretty amazing how much effectively it compares to the board. Unlike a blackboard, a giant sheet of paper is easy to move, and clue cards are easy to move, delete, or replace on paper. I recommend trying this.
When you're done, stretch out a giant piece of paper to some poor schmuck who then has to enter it into a formal UML diagram.
a source to share
One of my favorites is Data Flow Diagrams , which date back to the days of so-called "structured" analysis and design.
a source to share
I know this may not be what you were thinking, but ... a board. Seriously, for good communication, design is nothing like being able to draw the design and the interactions between the various moving parts and annotate as needed. This is not a formal method, but it is well suited for critical person-to-person discussions.
a source to share