Best CPU for SQL Server?

Our web application server db server (running SQL Server 2008) is starting to crack, so I would like to upgrade to a better one. We will probably still have a posted solution.

I know the more RAM the better, but what about the processor? Is it better to have a multi-core processor, or one that is slightly server-oriented, such as a Xeon or Opteron?

0


a source to share


5 answers


Yes, with a Xeon processor over a standard processor, it will help with the overall performance of your SQL Server. The bigger issue will be your RAM. High-performance RAM will also improve the performance of SQL Server. To get the job done, you probably want 15,000 RPM hard drives.



A good rule of thumb, the faster the technology (RAM, CPU, and hard drives), the better!

+1


a source


I know this is probably obvious, but no one has mentioned it yet: if possible, upgrade to a 64-bit OS. More memory and much faster.



+1


a source


All this talk about the best hardware, but nobody talks about the performance tuning your DB. Although I have to agree with most of the comments, especially RAM and HD. Bigger and faster is always better.

+1


a source


As you said, the more RAM the better. But the next most important component is the hard drives in RAID. Probably the "best" is RAID 0 + 1, sometimes called RAID 10.

0


a source


Another thing to consider is licensing. Microsoft's cost per socket is not per core. I believe Oracle charges a percentage of the full core license. Either way, you could save quite a bit of money by going with fewer sockets supporting CPUs.

0


a source







All Articles