Silverlight 4 business application architecture

With the arrival of VS 2010 and Silverlight 4, I decided it was time to take a look at Silverlight and understand how to build a Tier 3 business application.

After hours of searching and reading the documentation and tutorials, I'm completely confused (and it's not that easy).

Here are some specific points that I don't understand. I welcome guidance on any of these, and would also appreciate any links to a really good tutorial.

  • Brad Abrahm What is .NET RIA Services (written for Silverlight 3) seemed very promising until I realized that I didn't have System.Web.Ria.dll on my system. Am I missing additional downloads? Has this been rolled over to a different DLL for Silverlight 4? Did it go away in favor of something else in Silverlight 4?
  • This latest blog says to start with a Silverlight business application, remove unnecessary stuff, create a WCF RIA class library project, and copy files and references from the business application to the WCF RIA services project, while manually updating resource references at the same time (possibly a bug in compiler B2). Is this really the right way? Seems ... clumsy.

My requirement is to do very simple CRUD on simple business objects.

I am looking forward to suggestions on how to do this with Silverlight 4.

+2


a source to share


2 answers


I would say that since the silverlight application will be built on top of ASP.NET the background code will be the same for the application, be it Silverlight or Html (WebForms / MVC)

You can take a look at the CSLA Business Object Infrastructure that includes silverlight support: http://www.lhotka.net/cslanet/



Not 100% sure if its Silverlight 4.0 support yet, but if it doesn't, I'm sure it will be soon.

+1


a source


To answer your first question, the System.Web.Ria assembly has been replaced with these two assemblies:

System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Server
System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Hosting

      



You can find the list of breaking changes with the v1.0 version of WCF RIA Services here .

+1


a source







All Articles