Upgrading Visual Studio 2008 Professional to Visual Studio 2010 Premium

Currently Visual Studio 2008 Professional is installed on my Windows 7 (x64) laptop. I also have SQL Server 2008 Express and Crystal Reports 2008 installed.

Can I upgrade from Visual Studio 2008 Pro to Visual Studio 2010 Premium, and if so, should I make any configuration changes for any other applications I have installed?

+2


a source to share


2 answers


no, you can't "update" Visual Studio in the traditional sense. Visual Studio exists side-by-side (sxs) with older versions, so you have both versions installed. What needs to be updated are the CSPROJ (or VBPROJ) files that represent your projects.



+2


a source


It's side-by-side, you can continue to use both settings for development. As for the other two:

Your SQL Server will continue to work for both VS2008 and VS2010, SP1 adds .Net 4 support .



Crystal Reports will not be ... however there is a new version of 2010 that is no longer included in the base Visual Studio installation. It will be available as a separate (still free ) download from SAP. It is currently in beta 2 (at the time of reply) but should be released soon. SAP is updating the current status on this blog so you can follow: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14514

+1


a source







All Articles