Clear cache with cmd => ipconfig / dnsflush?
If my computer is a web server for multiple websites, is there any harm if I type ipconfig / dnsflush in the command line editor?
I've always had this problem. I am inserting flash (swf) into a .html file. Whenever I update the swf the .html file always uses the old swf even if I clear my cache and everything else.
Is there a way for my .html file to always get the latest / updated swf file?
Typing ipconfig / dnsflush will not fix your problem i.e. flush the DNS cache, your problem is your SWF file being cached by the browser. There are several ways to stop this. The easiest way is to add a random query string to the URL of the SWF file in the EMBED / OBJECT tag:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
document.write('<object etc ... ');
document.write('<param name="movie" value="filename.swf?r=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 99999) + '">');
document.write(' the other param tags here );
document.write('<embed src="filename.swf?r=' + Math.round(Math.random() * 99999) + '" etc .... </embed>');
document.write('</object>');
//-->
</script>
But keep in mind that this means your SWF will be reloaded every time and never from the browser cache. If you don't want that, consider adding a version number to the querystring rather than a random number and incrementing that when you want clients to load a new SWF file.
a source to share