Best way to find which cell of a string array continues text
I have a block of text which im taking from Gedcom ( Here and Here ) File
The text is flat and mostly broken up into "nodes"
I split each node into \ r char and thus subdivide it into each of its parts (the number of "lines" may vary)
I know that address 0 will always be an id, but after that everything could be anywhere, so I want to test each cell of the array to see if it contains the correct tag for me to execute
an example of what two nodes would look like
0 @ind23815@ INDI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Start of node 1
1 NAME Lawrence /Hucstepe/
2 DISPLAY Lawrence Hucstepe
2 GIVN Lawrence
2 SURN Hucstepe
1 POSITION -850,-210
2 BOUNDARY_RECT (-887,-177),(-813,-257)
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1521
1 DEAT Y
2 DATE 1559
1 NOTE * Born: Abt 1521, Kent, England
2 CONT * Marriage: Jane Pope 17 Aug 1546, Kent, England
2 CONT * Died: Bef 1559, Kent, England
2 CONT
1 FAMS @fam08318@
0 @ind23816@ INDI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Start of Node 2
1 NAME Jane /Pope/
2 DISPLAY Jane Pope
2 GIVN Jane
2 SURN Pope
1 POSITION -750,-210
2 BOUNDARY_RECT (-787,-177),(-713,-257)
1 SEX F
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1525
1 DEAT Y
2 DATE 1609
1 NOTE * Born: Abt 1525, Tenterden, Kent, England
2 CONT * Marriage: Lawrence Hucstepe 17 Aug 1546, Kent, England
2 CONT * Died: 23 Oct 1609
2 CONT
1 FAMS @fam08318@
0 @ind23817@ INDI <<<<<<<<<<< start of Node 3
So when I did, I have an array that looks like
address , string
0 = "1 NAME Lawrence /Hucstepe/"
1 = "2 DISPLAY Lawrence Hucstepe"
2 = "2 GIVN Lawrence"
3 = "2 SURN Hucstepe"
4 = "1 POSITION -850,-210"
5 = "2 BOUNDARY_RECT (-887,-177),(-813,-257)"
6 = "1 SEX M"
7 = "1 BIRT "
8 = "1 FAMS @fam08318@"
So my question is the best way to search in the above array to see which cell has SEX tag or NAME tag or FAMS tag
this is the code i
private int FindIndexinArray(string[] Arr, string search)
{
int Val = -1;
for (int i = 0; i < Arr.Length; i++)
{
if (Arr[i].Contains(search))
{
Val = i;
}
}
return Val;
}
But that seems inefficient because I end up calling it twice to make sure it doesn't return -1
In this way
if (FindIndexinArray(SubNode, "1 BIRT ") != -1)
{
// add birthday to Struct
I.BirthDay = SubNode[FindIndexinArray(SubNode, "1 BIRT ") + 1].Replace("2 DATE ", "").Trim();
}
Sorry this is a longer post, but hopefully you guys have some expert advice.
a source to share
You can use the static FindAll method of the Array class: It will return a string, though if that works.
string[] test = { "Sex", "Love", "Rock and Roll", "Drugs", "Computer"};
Array.FindAll(test, item => item.Contains("Sex") || item.Contains("Drugs") || item.Contains("Computer"));
The => indicates the expression lamda. Basically a method with no specific implementation. You can also do this if the lamda gives you creeps.
//Declare a method
private bool HasTag(string s)
{
return s.Contains("Sex") || s.Contains("Drugs") || s.Contains("Computer");
}
string[] test = { "Sex", "Love", "Rock and Roll", "Drugs", "Computer"};
Array.FindAll(test, HasTag);
a source to share
"But that seems to be inefficient because I end up calling it twice to make sure it doesn't return -1."
Copy the return value into a variable before testing to prevent multiple calls.
IndexResults = FindIndexinArray(SubNode, "1 BIRT ")
if (IndexResults != -1)
{
// add birthday to Struct
I.BirthDay = SubNode[IndexResults].Replace("2 DATE ", "").Trim();
}