Introduce me in Oracle PL / SQL Extensions
I am an experienced SQL user; I'm sure I am creating schema and optimizing queries in ANSI-SQL, for Sybase, MS SQL Server, MySQL or postgresql. I understand joins, subqueries, indexes, etc., so I don't have to repeat any of them that are not different in Oracle.
I'll take a job that will require using Oracle. Point me to online resources that are not designed as "Intro to SQL for Oracle", but those that explain "PL / SQL for people who already understand SQL".
I'm particularly interested in the following: A Quick Guide to PL / SQL Extensions and Oracle Query Optimization.
a source to share
Oracleยฎ PL / SQL Database User's Guide and Reference (10g) What more do you really need?
If you are new to Oracle, I also suggest that you spend a little time learning about their transaction model as it is a little different from SQL Server, which might bite you. Here is a good article. Another poster that Keith suggested reading is on the spot.
a source to share
asktom.oracle.com would be helpful to browse.
I suggest you explore the following powerful features: -
- analytical functions
- materialized views
- pipelined PL / SQL functions
a source to share
Read for concepts: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28318/toc.htm
a source to share
Read articles and books by Steve Feuerstein, he is one of the main PL / SQL evangelists.
Focus on your PL / SQL data structures like cursors, associative arrays, tables (PL / SQL, not SQL), etc.
One thing to keep in mind with Google for Google code, you will come across much more old code than new code. Try to learn new ones, not old ones.
For example, the old way to loop over a query is to create a cursor and then loop through the while loop until it returns nothing. Currently, you can implicitly create a loop like this:
FOR Test IN (select Ct from TableCT) LOOP Sum: = Sum + Test.Ct; END LOOP;
To optimize queries, start SQL Developer and run the explain plan. It may take a while to figure out, but this is the best way I've found. Also, if you haven't stumbled upon it yet, the WITH clause works wonders for optimizing queries.
a source to share