SVN plugin for VS2008
I am using VisualSVN with my Visual Studio 2008 and I need to run some kind of commit monitor in the tray area so that if the local copy of the project is out of date.
I have two problems:
-
I don't like to have this in two places, I want to see this as an icon in my VS,
-
Commit monitor software keeps track of multiple projects, when I am working on project 1 (which VS knows about) I am not interested in other projects.
I couldn't find any Visual Studio add-ons to do this, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good one.
a source to share
Work at AnkhSVN started in this direction, we started to implement "Synchronize View" which was also used in Eclipse / Subclipse. Anything that is still missing: Routine repository checkout and possibly a notification inside VS to inform you that something has changed.
You can now manually refresh this view to see local and remote changes (and merges, which could be potential conflicts). Patches can distribute this feature :-)
a source to share
Typically, you have 2 options (besides starting commitmonitor, as you already know):
- run the update before you start changing anything
- ignore everything and merge with any updates whenever you want to commit.
SVN is really designed around the "Wait until you're ready and put it all together" model, as there is no guarantee that even if you update your working copy just before modifying it, someone won't make the change before you. had a chance to commit. So let the system do the job for you.
The ultimate alternative, if you're worried about conflicts, is to use the svn: needs-lock property, which means you will need to lock any file you change before you change it, and you won't be able to get a lock on a file that someone else still modifies.
You might want to ask the VisualSVN people if they added an option to check the repository when loading a VS project (or start AnkhSVN and implement this feature yourself).
a source to share