How to use plone as a base

I am creating a web application that allows people to discuss topics. I started prototyping with Django and have a functional application. I haven't decided yet which framework to use.

I have read about Plone application and Plone framework. I just can't find any online documentation for using Plone as a basis. I'm looking for a tutorial or something that shows me how to create a web application starting with Plone. I just want to evaluate Plone before choosing my infrastructure.

Does anyone have any links or advice on how to learn how to use Plone as a framework?

+1


a source to share


3 answers


You should start here:

http://plone.org/documentation

Really good book: http://www.packtpub.com/Professional-Plone-web-applications-CMS/book



Plone is built on the Zope Application Server (zope.org). You should also read the zope book. It's free.

The freenode IRC channel (#plone) is full of experts who are ready to help. They love to discuss with :)

+3


a source


I think the most important factor in choosing a framework is having good documentation. If you can't find good docs for using plone the way you want, don't ask here first that you need the whole "score".



I'll stick with Django.

0


a source


Don't use Plone as a Framework.

Plone is a CMS. You can use it as a framework, you can use Zope2 application server + Zope3, but I don't recommend doing that. Plone was designed as a CMS, so why would you want to use it as a framework?

Why shouldn't you use Plone as a framework ?:

  • Plone Slow !!! 30 sec. there are too many on every restart. When you change something, you need to restart. Autorestart ( http://plone.org/products/collective.autorestart ) doesn't help, you still need to restart Plone at any time. You change the zcml code, portlet and sometime from python code.
  • Plone is too complex. Such a large code base. Various coding styles (old Zope2, new Zope3 componentbase, some parts co-written with Grok).
  • You will need to write xml (Generic Setup).
  • No one can tell you should be using Archetypes, Formlib, z3c.form, or Dexterity?
  • Plone doesn't have good documentation. Too many old documentation (plone.org/documentation) and no place where you can read how to do it right. The only good documentation is in Martin Aspeli's book (martinaspeli.net/plone-book), but you need more and this book is not open source, so you need to buy it.
  • Plone has so many products, but if you want really stable and quality stuff, you'll need to write your own.
  • Plone Slow !!! Forget test-driven development.
0


a source







All Articles