Windows SMTP Server with Server 2008 and PHP
For some reason iis server smtp and php are not reporting correctly. I have verified that smtp is working by connecting to it and running mail commands and I get an email. Also, I followed this link http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297700 and was able to receive an email. But whenever I try to send email from PHP nothing happens. What makes this even crazier is that no smtp logs are written. The log files should be located in the c: \ windows \ system32 \ logfiles \ smtpsvc1 directory, but the smtpsvc1 folder does not exist and there are no e-mail messages in the drop, pickup, queue, or badmail folders in the mailbox.
I'm not sure why there are no logs for this. I gave the Network Service user permission to use this logs folder, to no avail. So I guess the gist of my question is how can I make PHP and iis smtp send email.
I have smtp configured to send email to a non- MailEnable remote server . Any ideas?
Not exactly a straightforward answer, but you know that SMTP registration is not enabled by default and you need to enable it through IIS Manager. This way you won't get any logs until you do this. You will be able to see if logging is enabled as SMTP startup / initialization will generate log entries regardless of any other activity. If your log file is empty, SMTP is not running.
a source to share