How do I create the type of compression my software can read / write? Only my software

I am working on a project that requires software distribution of a compressed file in a format that is associated with my software. I am writing software in Python.

I would use .zip, but I don't want to overwrite the previouse filetype associations. (with zip utilities)

+2


a source to share


3 answers


You can create a new file extension other than .zip and associate that extension with your program.



+4


a source


Do what Java does: use the zip format [*] file, but use a different filename extension.



[*] or standard compression format of your choice.

0


a source


If you want to associate an extension with your application, just use your own unique file extension and use the existing zip processes.

If you want to make sure that your own application is ONLY an application that can read the file as well, even if the user changed the extension, you have to do more work.

0


a source







All Articles