Automating Firefox configuration settings

While doing web development, I need to be able to quickly switch between different configuration settings in Firefox. In particular, I should be able to:

1) Disable cookies 2) Disable javascript 3) Toggle my user agent (I have the user agent switcher add-on installed)

and then again.

Instead of doing it manually, it would be great if I could add a macro button to my toolbar, which I could just click to toggle the three options above.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Btw - Firefox Profiles don't really cut. You cannot dynamically switch between profiles in a specific Firefox instance, which is what I need to do.

Btw2 - I got excited when I saw Greasemonkey, Chicken Foot, but it looks like they can only automate browse / DOM tasks, not Firefox config settings.

Thanks to Richard.

0


a source to share


4 answers


Because of your requirements, you're probably best off doing a simple add-on. You could even add a button that goes back and forth between things.

You can disable cookies by setting the "network.cookie.cookieBehavior" preference to 2, you can disable JavaScript by setting the "javascript.enabled" parameter to false, and you can change the user agent by changing the "general.useragent.extra" preference. firefox ".



To do this, you need to use the preference API, which is documented here .

+1


a source


There are other add-ons that I think will get all the functionality you need (though not all in one tool).



If you want to extend the functionality of any of these add-ons, XPI files are just .zip files with a different extension. You can rename them and unpack them and see how they do what they do, extend them, install their own version, etc.

0


a source


the web developer toolbar will do everything you asked for except toggle the user agent string, which can be done through the UA you are already using. However, as far as I know, it cannot be macrolized, but it can be done with a few clicks.

0


a source


Try iMacros .

From their website: "Whatever you do with Firefox, iMacros can automate it."

0


a source







All Articles