SQL Server 2005 Failover Cluster Using Single Server?

I am developing an application hosted on a SQL Server 2005 failover cluster. The application (developed using C #,. Net 2.0) uses a number of clustered resources (printers, shared folders, etc.). I would like to set up a test environment that replicates the cluster. However, the current test environment only has one SQL server and there is no hope of getting a second server to create a full cluster. Is there some way to mock a cluster environment using only one server?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot MagicAndi.

0


a source to share


6 answers


Use virtual machines. For this I used MS Virtual Server and R2, it supports the creation of a virtual cluster. I've done this many times when I had to test clusters and make sure my code survived.

The whole process is a little confusing as you need to create a VPN and have two virtual hosts sharing a virtual SCSI disk for the cluster, but fortunately there are good step-by-step tutorials. Here's a good one: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/virtualserver/deploy/cvs2005.mspx



Once you get your cluster up and running, install a clustered SQL instance on it, the process will be the same as you do in a real metal cluster.

+2


a source


It just so happens that SQL Server Central published an article about it today: Setting up a SQL cluster under MS VS2005 R2 Part1, Perry Whittle



+2


a source


I would have thought you could achieve this through OS virtualization.

0


a source


The only possible option would be to configure virtual machines on one server. However, to be honest, I don't know if MS clutering supports using VMs as cluster nodes.

0


a source


I haven't tried it, but you can try to install another sql server instance on the server.

0


a source


No, MS Clustering supports VMs as cluster nodes ... and its a good use case for VMs to validate the cluster environment if the physical machine has good resources.

0


a source







All Articles