Keeping a journal, which is the best way
People who talk about loggers here never talk about EventLog, I think it is good for Windows system. Is this reliable, or did I find him dead on some bad morning?
EventLog allows you to create specific folder or folders for your application, I think in EventLog, because it will go both Front End and Back End and anything on the server.
This way it is transparent to applications and we can put our log in a specific folder, so I don’t have to look in the informational messages for zillion sys.
Why not log everything to SQLServer I'm building an e-commerce site if the SQL server down the site is going to be anyway. but i'm worried about temporary connection failure, what do you think?
Why everything like files can be big, too big to process, or maybe I will create another file if the file is too big and I can create a file with a date.
Has anyone tried MS Enterprise library? talk to me about it.
thanks
a source to share
I think some people choose files because it's an easy option and you only get the benefit of logging the information you really want to capture . If you are using Windows Event Log, you get stuck trying to search through thousands of OS events that happened in the same minute as the log entry you are looking for.
I would suggest a logging framework that will handle your needs without weighing you in on the extra unwanted effect you don't want.
I think the most commonly used logging framework for the .NET framework is log4net . But you need to find the one that works best for your project.
Here's a related QUESTION to help you. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/98080/what-is-the-best-logging-solution-for-ac-net-35-project
Personally, I can't think of a single reason why I would use Windows OS logs for my eCommerce application in the first place.
a source to share
I use event log quite a bit, especially when I write Windows Services. This is very useful in locked down environments where SysAdmins doesn't want you to write to the filesystem. All in all, I think SysAdmins quite appreciate this as they can easily find all the important logs in one place (separated by the application though as you say) without having to look for the log files, but you have to be careful not to write too many entries as it can be a little difficult to read compared to a well-formatted text journal.
I wouldn't want to log into the database unless the logged information was used by another process (like I did my job, now it's your turn to do your bit), but I'm not sure if there is any real reason to avoid of this and possibly used so that I am not used to it.
a source to share